Man quarantined in Kericho over suspected Coronavirus infection
The man was taken to the facility by his wife after he complained of severe coughs and weak joints in what doctors said was symptomatic of the new coronavirus (Covid-19).
He is said to be a cleric who recently arrived from a meeting in Mombasa before he developed complications.
“He was immediately quarantined in an isolated ward with blood samples taken to Nairobi for specialised analysis and first aid measures put in place” states a medical report.
The case was reported on Saturday at midnight, but only made public on Monday, according to a police incident report.
Kericho Governor Paul Chepkwony and Chief Officer in charge of Medical Services David Ekuwam on Monday night confirmed the case.
“There are 117 isolation beds set aside and available in public and private hospitals across the county,” said Prof Chepkwony, adding that there was no cause for alarm.
The man’s wife has been asked to self quarantine at their family home in May Summit area on the border of Kericho and Nakuru counties.
Mr Ekuwam stated that the Kericho County Referral Hospital has 12 beds while Kapkatet Sub-county Hospital has 10. Chemogonday and St Leonard hospitals each have 30 isolation beds.
Yesterday, government spokesman Cyrus Oguna told journalists that there are currently three suspected cases of Covid-19 infection in the country while a total of 20 people are being monitored.
Three cases have so far been confirmed after testing positive.
The country’s first patient is a 27 year-old Kenyan who travelled from the US via London. She tested positive on March 12, a week after returning from the US.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe then made the announcement on March 13. It was the first confirmed case in the region.
Read the Original Article on Daily Nation
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (34,559)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (19,060)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (8,829)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,218)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (7,017)