Italy’s prime minister Conte calls for EU’s ‘full firepower’ against coronavirus
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte called Friday for the European Union to tap the "full firepower" of its rescue fund to combat the coronavirus outbreak.
In an interview with the Financial Times, Conte urged the EU to adapt its European Stability Mechanism (ESM) — the war chest for eurozone countries with serious debt problems — to fight the COVID-19 pandemic in the bloc.
“The ESM was crafted with a different type of crisis in mind, so it must be adapted to the new circumstances so that we can make use of its full firepower,” Conte told the FT.
“The route to follow is to open ESM credit lines to all member states to help them fight the consequences of the COVID-19 epidemic, under the condition of full accountability by each member state on the way resources are spent.”
The Italian premier had Thursday welcomed the European Central Bank’s massive 750-billion-euro bond buying stimulus package designed to help virus-wracked economies.
The ECB’s emergency $820-billion scheme will pump cash into the economy by buying additional government and corporate bonds until a least the end of the year.
Italy on Thursday overtook China’s coronavirus death total and braced for an extended lockdown that could see the economy suffer its biggest shock since World War II.
The Mediterranean country’s toll reached 3,405 after it recorded 427 new deaths on Wednesday.
“We are confronted with an exogenous, global shock that has no precedents in modern history,” Conte added.
“And as political leaders we are called to make necessary, bold, yet tragic choices.”
French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said separately Friday that the EU must stand by Italy otherwise all member states would suffer.
It could not be a case of “everyone for themselves,” it had to be all working together to get through the crisis, Le Maire added.
Italy shut down most businesses on March 11 to fight the deadly outbreak.
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (34,497)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (18,954)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (8,785)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,192)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (6,993)