The US intelligence agencies are receiving information that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is in grave danger after undergoing surgery, CNN reported on Monday.
The outlet cited an unnamed US official with direct knowledge of the matter.
Another US official said there were concerns over Kim’s health, but it was hard to assess the severity of the situation.
A South Korean government official told the country’s Yonhap news agency that Kim was not seriously ill, contradicting the report.
Earlier Monday, a South Korean media report said that the 36-year-old despot was being treated following a cardiovascular procedure earlier this month.
The reclusive leader missed the celebration of his grandfather’s birthday, the nation’s founder, Kim Il Sung, on April 15, sparking speculations about his health
Kim underwent the surgery April 12 at a hospital in the Mount Kumgang resort county of Hyangsan and was recovering at a villa there, reported Daily NK, a website run mostly by North Korean defectors, citing unidentified sources inside the hermit kingdom.
The diminutive dictator’s health has deteriorated in recent months due to heavy smoking, obesity and overwork, the report said.
South Korea’s Unification Ministry, which handles inter-Korean affairs, said it couldn’t confirm the reports.
The National Security Council and Office of the Director of National Intelligence declined to comment to CNN. The CIA and the State Department didn’t immediately comment.
With Post wires
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (35,768)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (20,387)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (9,432)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,689)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (7,317)