Covid-19 found in semen of infected men, say Chinese doctors
Study based on small number of patients opens up chance of sexual transmission
GUARDIAN:Chinese researchers who tested the sperm of men infected with Covid-19 found a minority had the new coronavirus in their semen, opening up a small chance the disease could be sexually transmitted, scientists have said.
A study by doctors at China’s Shangqiu municipal hospital of 38 men hospitalised with the disease found that six of them(16%), tested positive for Sars-CoV-2 in their semen.
The researchers said that while the findings were preliminary, and based on only a small number of infected men, more research is needed to see whether sexual transmission might play a role in the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Further studies are required with respect to the detailed information about virus shedding, survival time and concentration in semen,” the team wrote in a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
“If it could be proved that Sars-CoV-2 can be transmitted sexually … [that] might be a critical part of the prevention,” they said, “especially considering the fact that Sars-CoV-2 was detected in the semen of recovering patients.”
Independent experts said the findings were interesting but should be viewed with caution and in the context of other small studies that have not found the new coronavirus in sperm.
Confirmed cases of Covid-19 for selected countries
Showing the number of cases since the day of the 100th case, using a log scale. Data correct at 23.59 UTC 6 May
A previous small study of 12 Covid-19 patients in China in February and March found that all of them tested negative for Sars-CoV-2 in semen samples.
Allan Pacey, a professor of andrology at Sheffield University in the UK, said the studies should not be seen as conclusive, as there were some technical difficulties in testing semen for viruses. He said the presence of Sars-CoV-2 in sperm did not show whether it is active and capable of causing infection.
“However, we should not be surprised if the virus which causes Covid-19 is found in the semen of some men, since this has been shown with many other viruses such as Ebola and Zika,” he said.
Sheena Lewis, a professor of reproductive medicine at Queen’s University Belfast, stressed that this was a “very small study” and said its findings were in keeping with other small studies showing low or no Sars-CoV-2 in tests of semen samples.
“However, the long-term effects of Sars-CoV-2 on male reproduction are not yet known,” she said.
SOURCE : THE GUARDIAN
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (34,358)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (18,762)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (8,711)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,156)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (6,957)