WHO holds meeting with African traditional medicine experts on Covid-19 cure
Traditional medical experts unanimously agree clinical trials must be conducted for all medicines,' WHO says
ANKARA :The World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday said it held a virtual meeting with 70 African traditional medicine experts concerning the treatment of coronavirus.
In a tweet, the WHO’s Regional Office for Africa said meeting with experts across Africa focused on the role of traditional medicine in the COVID-19 response.
Number of coronavirus cases in the African continent reached 66,373 with 3,048 new infections over the past 24 hours, said the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday.
”They unanimously agreed that clinical trials must be conducted for all medicines in the Region, without exception,” WHO said, with no further details.
The meeting announcement came only one day after Madagascar President Andry Rajoelina slammed the UN health agency for not endorsing Covid Organics (CVO), an organic herbal drink, it says can prevent and cure patients suffering from the novel coronavirus.
The WHO had warned against the use of CVO without any medical supervision and also cautioned against self-medication. The WHO further called for clinical trials of Covid Organics.
“We are advising the government of Madagascar to take this product through a clinical trial and we are prepared to collaborate with them,” Matshidiso Moeti, the WHO’s regional director for Africa, said last week.
After originating in China last December, COVID-19 has spread to at least 187 countries and regions. Europe and the US are currently the worst-hit regions.
The pandemic has killed over 286,600 worldwide, with total infections more than 4.19 million, while recoveries exceeded 1.46 million, according to figures compiled by the US’ Johns Hopkins University.
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (35,762)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (20,384)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (9,427)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,687)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (7,313)