Deputy President William Ruto has broken his silence on the highly disputed Third-Generation formula for sharing revenue among counties.
Taking to his official Twitter account, DP Ruto declared his stand on the contentious formula stating that the Senate must ensure equitable sharing of all resources.
According to the deputy president, the ongoing debate is unnecessarily divisive adding that the legislature must per its mandate structure a win-win formula without hurting any county.
“The ongoing revenue formula debate is unnecessarily divisive. The Constitution envisages fair and equitable sharing of all our resources. The legislature MUST as per its MANDATE structure a WIN-WIN formula that is sensitive to proposals made without hurting any county. INAWEZEKANA.” DP Ruto tweeted.
DP Ruto’s statement seems to be contrasting President Uhuru Kenyatta’s stand on the formula.
The Senate, for the fifth time, on Thursday failed to reach a consensus on how counties will get funds in this 2020 financial year, something which has left devolved units financially starved.
If the third formula is adopted, some counties that have been receiving a higher allocation because of their huge landmass and high poverty indices will see their revenue cut.
This has led to a disagreement between senators whose counties are likely to gain and those that will lose have been the biggest hindrance to the adoption of the formula.
Key Raila allies in the senate are now accusing President Uhuru Kenyatta’s allies of wanting to blackmail the ODM leader by projecting the BBI process as a Raila project.
Murang’a Senator Irungu Kang’ata on Saturday accused senators opposing the third basis revenue sharing formula as anti-BBI.
Kang’ata threatened to mobilize other Senators to reject the BBI report if the new revenue sharing formula will not sail through on Tuesday when the House convenes again.
“On Tuesday if the senate will adopt the third-generation revenue sharing formula, then we will reject the BBI. This is because BBI advocates revenue to be shared in accordance with the population,” he added.
However, according to Raila’s allies, the new formula is part of a selfish political plot to destabilize the ODM leader and spoil his political fortunes ahead of 2022. General elections.
It has been reported that the AU special envoy Raila on Friday held a virtual meeting with key ODM senators where a decision was made to reject the formula.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (39,621)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (24,246)
- Jalango finally forgives a boy who… November 6, 2021 Jalango has finally forgiven Upcoming artiste Vincent Mboya,a boy who… (16,179)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (15,769)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (11,317)