Kimilili MP Didmus Barasa was arrested on Tuesday morning (August 4) and arraigned for selling a motor vehicle that he had acquired through asset finance arrangement without informing the bank that had loaned him the funds. The lawmaker was yet to clear his loan balance when he allegedly sold the car.
The legislator appeared before the Kajiado Law Courts.
It is alleged that on March 10, 2017, the MP sold a vehicle he had acquired through a loan facility from Uwezo Microfinance Bank in 2016.
Despite selling the vehicle at Ksh400, 000, Barasa is said to have remained with the logbook of the car, a Toyota Hiace of registration plate KBX 734E.
Later on March 10, the lawmaker is said to have attempted to use the logbook to get another loan facility from a different bank, a move that Uwezo Microfinance Bank got to know of and intercepted.
Uwezo, thereafter, reported the fraudulent deal to the DCI officers in Kitengela, who arrested the legislator.
After investigations by the DCI, Office of the DPP gave the greenlight for Barasa’s arraignment.
“On the 10th day of March 2017 at Kitengela Township in Isinya Sub-County within Kajiado County, being [in possession of] a mortgaged motor vehicle [of] registration number KBX 734E [of] Toyota Hiace make, you mortgaged the goods with the intent to defraud the said mortgaged goods without the consent of Uwezo Microfinance Bank, [who is] the mortgagee,” reads the charges pressed against the MP.
The lawmaker pleaded not guilty.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (56,992)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (47,226)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (25,628)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (20,498)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (17,749)