The idea of having constitutional amendments done through a referendum before the end of this year-2020, is not appealing to most Kenyans, if reactions on social media are anything to go by.
ODM leader Raila Odinga in a video published by NTV on Thursday said he intends to push for a referendum before the year ends, saying the polls will be carried out carefully without putting the efforts to contain Covid-19 in jeopardy.
Mr Odinga stated that Kenya still has an opportunity to conduct a referendum latest December 2020, and shall borrow a leaf from Tanzania and the US.
Tanzania and the US are heading for elections in the coming months and Mr Odinga believes the country shall observe how they shall conduct their polls amidst the pandemic.
“Initially we were thinking that we would be able to do a referendum by July or August but this has not been possible. We are hoping Covid-19 will peak by September and after that, it will start going down in October.
“We will be in a position to do a referendum by the end of November or sometime in December,” held Raila Odinga.
It is his remarks that have sparked protests among Kenyans on social media, with a majority of the netizens saying the polls should not be an option at a time the country’s economy is severely strained.
“Do we really need this right now??? People are suffering; covid is affecting people left, right & centre, no food, no rent money, the economy is in shambles, and a referendum is all that is in his mind??? What hell is this?!” said Miss Moraa on Twitter.
Do we really need this right now??? People are suffering; covid is affecting people left, right & centre, no food, no rent money, the economy is in shambles, and a referendum is all that is in his mind??? What hell is this?!
— Ladybird🐞 (@misstmoraa) August 6, 2020
A number of tweeps suggested that the nations should concentrate on the plight of Kenyans who had lost jobs due to covid-19 and channel more resources towards getting the economy back to its feet.
They argued that Mr Odinga had already done enough for the country and should consider taking a back seat as opposed to being at the front line pushing for constitutional amendments.
“Instead of talking about LOOTED covid-19 MONEY his possessed of Referendum this old man has nothing NEW to offer to Kenyan’s other than his NOISE of changing CONSTITUTION,” wondered Erick Wamalwa.
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (34,560)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (19,065)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (8,829)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,219)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (7,017)