TANZANIA :One of the only two opposition MP-elect hints at turning down seat in Defence of democracy.
One of the two opposition members of Parliament in mainland Tanzania in the just concluded General election has hinted at turning down the opportunity to join parliament.
Chadema’s lone MP-elect Aida Khenan suggested she would be ready to forego her win in defence of democracy.
She hinted that she’s ready to join her opposition colleagues in any decision that her party will take following the election results which the Chadema presidential candidate Tundu Lissu has rejected and termed as “Fraud and Travesty”
“I’m not pleased with the outcome of the election that is being released Countrywide despite the fact that I have won a parliamentary seat in Nkasi, Rukwa.” she wrote on her Twitter handle.
She then added, “Democracy is more important than my win. I’m ready to join my colleagues for whatever decision they may opt to take.”
A former special seats MP on Chadema,Ms Khenan was the only Chadema candidate to win a parliamentary seat in the 264-member parliament after all the party stalwarts lost in the different Constituencies.
Ms Khenan defeated CCM’s veteran Ally Kessy after scoring 21,226 votes against his 19,972. She became only the second MP-elect in Mainland Tanzania declared by the National Election Commission.
The other MP-elect in mainland Tanzania is Civic United Front’s is Shamsia Aziz Mtamba who won in Mtwara Rural Constituency. The ruling party CCM has swept all the remaining seats in the shock elections whose credibility the opposition is questioning following claims of widespread irregularities, including vote staffing.
Tanzania’s National Election Commission has not formerly reacted to opposition’s rejection of the result.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (52,160)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (41,001)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (22,879)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (19,460)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (15,609)