Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma did not show up on Monday at an inquiry into corruption during his time in office in spite of the country’s top court ordering him to appear.
The inquiry led by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo is probing allegations of high-level graft during Zuma’s nine years in power from 2009 to 2018.
Mr. Zondo said he would announce what steps the inquiry would take against Zuma at 2 p.m. local time (1200 GMT).
Mr. Zuma denies any wrongdoing but has not cooperated with the so-called “state capture” inquiry.
He was removed from office by his governing African National Congress (ANC) in February 2018, in a move orchestrated by allies of his successor Cyril Ramaphosa.
Mr. Zuma’s lawyers confirmed in a letter to the inquiry that the former president, who is now 78, would not attend this week, when he had been due to give evidence.
“The summons issued for our client to appear on February 15-19 2021 is irregular,” the letter said, justifying his no-show.
Mr. Ramaphosa has been trying to clean up the ANC’s image and restore investor confidence in Africa’s most industrialized nation since Mr. Zuma’s departure.
However, he has faced opposition from a faction in the ANC that remains loyal to Mr. Zuma.
The allegations against Mr. Zuma include that he allowed businessmen close to him – three brothers Atul, Ajay and Rajesh Gupta – to plunder state resources and influence policy.
The Guptas deny any wrongdoing. They left South Africa after Mr. Zuma was ousted.
Mr. Zuma walked out of the inquiry in November without permission. Its officials then approached the constitutional court to make him re-appear and testify.