Fresh details have indicated just how committed ODM leader Raila Odinga is in his bid to ensure that the country gets a new set of laws under the current push for constitutional amendments.
In collaboration with President Uhuru Kenyatta, with whom he is working with, Raila is pushing for changes through the BBI initiative, changes that are, however, facing opposition from some of his allies.
These are lawmakers who are opposed to some clauses of the bill, especially the one on the creation and distribution of the proposed 70 new constituencies, and want that section looked into.
Reports indicate that so keen is he on ensuring that the document passes in its current state that he recently lost his cool when one of his lieutenants in parliament attempted to talk on the matter.
The MP from Nairobi county, according to an insider, had visited Raila at his Karen home, and, apparently unaware of how serious he is in his (Raila) position, told him that they will have the clause rechecked.
The Nation was told that the MP told Raila of their plan to help in the fight against the “inequalities on the distribution of the 70 Constituencies as proposed in the BBI report.”
To his shock, however, Raila lost his cool and turned furious, an indication of how opposed the former Prime Minister is to the proposed amendment to the document by the parliament.
“The MP was shocked by Mr Odinga’s fury,” an insider told the paper, while adding that Raila views such people as those being used by persons out to scuttle the entire change-the-constitution process.
Raila has been of the opinion that the proposed changes are seriously needed for a better country, even as some of his allies warn that he was shortchanged the distribution of the constituencies as most will end up in Uhuru’s Mt Kenya zone.
But he has maintained that nobody will succeed in scuttling the process, nicknaming it the unstoppable reggae.
His party has since removed Rarieda MP Otiende Amollo from the National Assembly JLAC Vice Chairman position, after the MP decided to challenge the contents of the very same clause.
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (34,365)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (18,773)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (8,716)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,156)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (6,958)