Kenyan athletes who won a marathon in the United States but faulted and moved off their track have finally been compensated after they missed out on the cash prize.
Christopher Kipyego and Elijah Mwangangi were ahead of the rest of the pack of athletes last Sunday when they followed a volunteer guide who led them off the track that they were supposed to race on.
This saw both of them denied a cash price of Ksh331, 200 but after wide consultation the organisers of the event decided to award them Ksh 221,000 each.
The athletes had raised concerns after the race, saying that they had followed a cyclist who is a volunteer tasked with showing them which track they should follow.
However, the cyclist led them off the track, which saw an American get the award after the duo messed.
“It is true that I was ahead of everyone but the guide either by knowing decided to guide me off my track,” Mwangangi said.
However, he asked the organisers to at least compensate them since it was clear that they would win the race.
“I believe that everything happens for a reason and all that took place is part of God’s plan. I always believe in God and I know that things will improve,” Mwangangi added.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions that saw the number of sporting activities in the US reduced, hence affecting Mwangangi’s financial status, he had started a fund drive so as he can be in a position to feed his family.
The athlete started an online fund drive and this saw well-wishers contribute Ksh 613,717 which was past the target that was Ksh 221,000.
In a statement, the organisers of the race that took place six days ago faulted the two Kenyans, saying that everyone who was to participate in the marathon had been familiarized with the track a day before the fateful day.
Mwangangi is currently in the US on a tourist visa, and he hopes to participate in another marathon before he finally comes back to Kenya.
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (34,498)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (18,958)
- Corona Virus To End May 29th, Says Indian Boy Who… March 27, 2020 On August 22nd 2019, on his YouTube channel conscience, 14… (8,787)
- Kenyans React After Suspicious Portrait Is Spotted… September 1, 2020 There was mixed reaction on social media platform after Kenyans… (7,192)
- REVEALED: US may have brought Coronavirus to… March 13, 2020 A Chinese official has suggested that the US army may… (6,993)