Meet Virginia Aoko,a girl who helped her pregnant mother to cross a crocodile invested Lake Victoria at 3am
A 12-year-old girl who rowed her pregnant mother across Lake Victoria in the dead of the night was one of the heroines feted on Wednesday, October 20, during the Mashujaa Day celebrations.
Virginia Aoko pulled many people to their heartstrings in May this year after narrating how she single-handedly rowed her mother, who was in labour across the crocodile-infested waters of Lake Victoria, Kenya.
A report by The Star indicates that the girl said her mother woke her at 3 am, writhing in pain and she had to act fast because her father was out fishing.
She knew every second counted to ensure her mother and her unborn sibling arrived in the hospital safely.
In the thick darkness, the class seven pupil asked her mother to board a boat, and she grabbed a paddle and rowed her to the hospital.
With the water hyacinth, tangled reeds, foggy dawn weather, the determined lass rowed her mother the two kilometres stretch to Rukala Health Centre, Kenya.
She said the facility’s nurses quickly responded and helped her mother deliver safely to a baby boy.
Fortunately, she has been recognised for her exemplary show of heroism, sacrifice and bravery by rowing her pregnant mother to the health centre across crocodile-infested waters during flooding.
Besides the young girl, celebrated sprinter Ferdinand Omanyala was also among the Kenyans who were honoured for his stellar performance in 100m races across the globe, The Standard confirms. President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto led Kenyans in the Mashujaa Fete occasion which was held at the Wang’uru Stadium, Kirinyaga.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (39,304)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (23,939)
- Jalango finally forgives a boy who… November 6, 2021 Jalango has finally forgiven Upcoming artiste Vincent Mboya,a boy who… (16,062)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (15,647)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (10,978)