Hundreds of driving schools nationwide risk closure following the National Transport and Safety Authority’s (NTSA) decision to issue fresh licences.
The move by NTSA is aimed at weeding out rogue operators.
NTSA has directed more than 500 driving schools to apply afresh for their operation licenses.
The new operating licences will only be issued to those who comply with a list of new rules.
Several driving schools that do not meet the NTSA’s infrastructure and staff qualification requirements will be forced to close shop.
This comes as the Kenya Driving Schools Association (KDSA) for the second time in five years, took to the High Court to block the NTSA from implementing the new rules.
According to the court petition, the KDSA claims that it has 700 paid members, most of whom risk closure if the NTSA rules are enforced.
The new rules require NTSA to send officials to inspect each driving school in order to ensure that all institutions meet infrastructure and staff requirements before issuing fresh licences.
Driving schools before they are given licences, are required to have waiting areas, management offices, theory classrooms with a town model board and a capacity to hold at least four students that have to be seated at least one square metre apart, washrooms and road sign posters approved by the NTSA.
As for driving tutors, they must have attained an equivalent of at least a D minus in their secondary school education and have a certificate in computer studies or a similar qualification.
Also, driving schools are required to have a minimum of two driving instructors and must also submit annual reports to the NTSA by the end of January each year.
The new rules by NTSA were released to the public on March 10, 2020, through a gazette notice.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (39,287)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (23,922)
- Jalango finally forgives a boy who… November 6, 2021 Jalango has finally forgiven Upcoming artiste Vincent Mboya,a boy who… (16,059)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (15,638)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (10,933)