The mandate read, “As it is our responsibility under the mandates provided to us by the Human Rights Council to seek to clarify all cases brought to our attention, we would be grateful for your observations on the following matters: any additional information and any comment you may have on the above-mentioned allegations.
“Please provide detailed information on the current state of health of Mr Kanu and the measures undertaken, or foreseen, to prevent any irreparable damage to his life and personal integrity and to ensure that he has access to the medications and medical treatment required by his health conditions.
“Please provide detailed information on the circumstances in which Mr Kanu was arrested, forcibly disappeared before being handed over to Nigerian authorities and transferred from Nairobi to Abuja. Also provide any international arrest warrant that may have been issued against him, prior to his arrest.”
Leader of Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, is delighted by the ‘urgent appeals’ written by United Nations bodies to Nigeria and Kenya.
His lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, made this known in a tweet after his meeting with the Biafran agitator on Tuesday.
The United Nations had issued ‘Urgent Appeals” to both the Nigerian and Kenyan Governments respectively, demanding immediate stoppage of any torture or violation of rights committed against the detained leader of IPOB.
UN also warned of serious consequences if the allegations of torture and violation of fundamental human rights against the IPOB leader were confirmed.
The UN intervention followed a petition to the UN by Kanu’s brother, Kanunta Kanu; and his counsel, Mr. Aloy Ejimakor.
UN’s “Urgent Appeals” to Nigeria and Kenya, according to a statement by Kanunta, have been transmitted to both countries since August 26, and acknowledgment received from Nigeria’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York on September 17.
In the appeal, UN demanded an explanation of the initial steps taken by the Federal Government to safeguard the rights of Kanu in compliance with international instruments.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (39,289)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (23,927)
- Jalango finally forgives a boy who… November 6, 2021 Jalango has finally forgiven Upcoming artiste Vincent Mboya,a boy who… (16,062)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (15,641)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (10,948)