High Court judge Justice Antony Mrima has sentenced DCI boss George Kinoti to serve 4 months jail term at Kamiti Prison for disobeying a court order.
Kinoti is required to surrender to the prison authorities within 7 days.
The sentence follows after Kinoti defied a court order compelling him to return firearms confiscated from businessman Jimmy Wanjigi.
The sentencing comes after Kinoti failed to present himself in person on Monday, September 27, 2021, in court following a summons by the judge.
Justice Anthony Mrima, who was presiding over the case, ruled that Kinoti was guilty of contempt of court.
Following the disobedience of these court orders, Justice Mrima directed the DCI to appear at the High Court on November 18, 2021, for sentencing.
The case involves seven guns confiscated from Wanjigi’s home. In 2019 the High Court ordered the state to return Wanjigi’s firearms to him.
But the firearms were never returned to the businessman. In February 2021, the court gave further orders for the DCI to ensure the mogul got his guns back but the orders were ignored.
In 2019, Justice Chacha Mwita ruled that the government acted unreasonably by taking away Wanjigi’s firearms since he had a valid license.
“The plaintiff’s rights were violated by the respondents. The actions of the respondents were unlawful and actuated by malice. The court grants orders that all firearms be returned to the plaintiff,” Justice Mwita ruled.
Wanjigi told the court that the police raided his house without a search warrant and took his firearms.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (39,603)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (24,222)
- Jalango finally forgives a boy who… November 6, 2021 Jalango has finally forgiven Upcoming artiste Vincent Mboya,a boy who… (16,172)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (15,762)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (11,309)