Authorities in Lira City, in Uganda, have banned female market traders from sitting in the driver’s cabin as part of the efforts to mitigate rampant road accidents.
The decision followed an accident that claimed the lives of nine people and injured 19 others in Agali Sub-county, Lira District, on January 10.
The accident occurred after a Fuso truck transporting traders and their merchandise got involved in an accident at Pii-awac swamp, seven kilometres east of Lira City.
Police attributed the accident to reckless driving, speeding and overloading.
However, female market vendors, especially those in the front cabin together with truck drivers, have also been blamed for numerous accidents on most of the roads in Lango Sub-region.
The female passengers are accused of wearing short dresses which expose their thighs, which distracts drivers thus resulting in road accidents.
Mr Patrick Opio Obote, the chairman of Lira City Mobile Market Vendors Association, said some of their female members dress indecently and demand to sit in the co-driver’s seat
He said such women often claim that they do not want to sit behind the truck because of dusty roads.
“To reduce accidents, we have resolved that with effect from Monday, January 17, no woman shall be allowed to sit in front of any truck transporting traders from Lira City to any weekly markets,” he said.
The spokesperson for Lira Urban Transporters Association, Mr Bernard Anyeko Matsanga, said the implementation of the decision is now in full force.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (56,989)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (47,226)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (25,628)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (20,498)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (17,747)