The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has written to Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji to initiate a probe against ODM leader Raila Odinga and Deputy President William Ruto.
This follows a complaint by Thirdway Alliance Kenya party against the two perceived leading presidential aspirants over alleged illegal early campaigns and use of public resources.
IEBC Chairman Wafula Chebukati cited the Ekuru Aukot-led party’s letter to the commission on March 11, 2022 lamenting about the two leading candidates’ alleged use of public funds for their own personal and political agenda.
This, the party claimed, was giving the Azimio la Umoja and Kenya Kwanza frontmen an unfair advantage over their other opponents in the race to State House.
“The Third Way Alliance Party wrote to the Commission on 11th March, 2022 expressing displeasure at the manner in which illegal early campaigns have gained currency and the use of public resources to advance personal and political objectives has become prevalent,” stated Chebukati
“The Party has singled out the Deputy President Dr. William Ruto and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga as having an undue advantage over other aspirants by dint of using of public resources thus enjoying a competitive edge.”
The IEBC boss hence urged DPP Haji to invoke his duty to investigate and prosecute such manner of offences as stipulated under the Election Offences Act.
“Section 14 of the Election Offences Act, 2016 outlaws use of public resources for the purpose of campaigning during an election,” wrote Chebukati in the letter dated March 22, 2022.
“In addition, pursuant to Section 21 of the Act, it is the Director of Public Prosecution that has power to order investigations and to prosecute offences under the Act.”
He added: “It is in this premise that we wish to escalate this complaint to your office to deal since the same falls under your purview.”
Thirdway Alliance Kenya party leader Aukot on March 11 wrote to Chebukati seeking to have Odinga and DP Ruto barred from participating in the August elections.
Aukot argued that the duo had overtly breached IEBC regulations by campaigning all over the country using public resources prior to the election body’s set commencing date of May 29, 2022.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (57,296)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (47,517)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (25,798)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (20,579)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (17,859)