Deputy President William Ruto has officially written to the Auditor General, Nancy Gathungu, to audit the funds used on the Building Bridges Initiative, which the Supreme Court declared unconstitutional.
The Kenya Kwanza coalition alleges that the BBI process gobbled public funds amounting to Ksh 30 billion before hitting a dead end.
The letter has been copied to the Controller of Budget Margaret Nyakang’o, Country Director World Bank Keith Hansen, resident representative International Monetary Fund Office in Kenya Tobias Rasmussen, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Twalib Mbarak, Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji
In the communique, the DP’s brigade is requesting for a report by the Auditor General that will scrutinize the funds they allege were approved by Permanent Secretaries and the BBI secretariat.
The call to audit public funds used comes amid a biting fuel crisis across the country, with the Kenya Kwanza leaders alleging that the levy fund was used for government projects.
DP Ruto, ANC party leader Musalia Mudavadi, and his FORD Kenya counterpart Moses Wetangula claimed that Khs.20 billion was utilized by unnamed principal secretaries and accounting officers. They further claimed that and the BBI secretariat spent Ksh10 billion to popularize the push for constitutional reforms.
“Article 201 of the Constitution spells out the principles of public finance. In particular, Article 201(d) of the Constitution provides that public money shall be used prudently and responsibly.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (57,296)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (47,517)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (25,798)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (20,579)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (17,859)