Joyce Chepkirui, 10,000m Commonwealth Games Gold medallist has been banned for four years, starting June 28 2019, for an Athlete Biological Passport (ABP) violation.
According to the report released by Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), an expert panel studied anomalies in blood samples collected by World Athletics between 2016 and 2017.
The panel concluded the “likelihood of the abnormalities in results being due to blood manipulation” – the artificial increase of red blood cells using a stimulant – was “high”.
Chepkirui tried to explain the abnormalities, revealing that she suffered from hormone imbalance and vaginal bleeding, which was caused by a contraceptives injected every three months, had an iron-rich diet and took three drugs to treat these conditions.
Despite her statements, CAS chose to uphold the suspension imposed on her in 2019 by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU). Therefore, the four-year period of ineligibility has been back-dated to the start of her provisional suspension.
Following the ban, Chepkirui’s race results between April 2016 and August 2017 have been nullified including a third-place finish in the 2016 Boston Marathon. She is therefore required to return any medals, prizes and appearance fees.
The 30-year-old made her debut in the half marathon in Spain that November and finished second. She went on to win the Amsterdam and Honolulu marathons in 2015, besides finishing 10th in Boston Marathon the same year.
She attempted the 3,000m steeplechase in 2008, but managed only a fifth place finish at the national junior championships.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (56,992)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (47,226)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (25,628)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (20,498)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (17,749)