Musician Kevin Kioko alias Bahati will now contest for the Mathare parliamentary seat after the Jubilee Party made a u-turn in its decision to withdraw his nomination certificate.
The announcement was made by Jubilee Secretary-General, Jeremiah Kioni, during a press briefing at the party headquarters in Nairobi.
Kioni stated that the party had the interests of the youth at heart and hence the decision to reinstate Bahati’s certificate.
The musician made headlines two weeks ago after breaking down during a presser after he was asked to step down from the race in favour of the Orange Democratic Movement’s (ODM) aspirant, Anthony Oluoch.
“I would like to thank my party, I have my ticket. There were a lot of things going on but I am on the ballot for a Jubilee Party and I can promise I will be the next Member of Parliament for Mathare. Thank you very much to my party for the opportunity to run,” Bahati stated.
“Today I am not crying so I would like to thank my party leader for giving not only Bahati the opportunity but also the youth of this country an opportunity to lead and give the people a voice. I also want to thank Baba (Raila Odinga) for giving me the consideration despite the tough issues with zoning in the coalition,” he added.
The decision to withdraw Bahati’s certificate was reached as part of the zoning agreement between Azimio One Kenya affiliate parties.
Earlier Jubilee Party had explained that a standing agreement with Azimio La Umoja affiliate parties was at the centre of the controversy surrounding Bahati’s nomination.
Jubilee Party Director of Elections, Kanini Kega, stated that ODM contacted the ruling party enquiring as to why it had breached the agreement by fielding a candidate in its (ODM’s) turf.
Kega explained that Jubilee, ODM and Wiper had agreed to zone constituencies in Nairobi based on how the three parties faired in the 2017 General Election, further admitting to breaking the agreement.
VIDEO: JULIUS MALEMA says White people must Apologise to Black South Africans
- Top Kenyan Scientist Unveils ARV Drug to be Used Once a Year April 28, 2020 A US-based Kenyan scientist has unveiled the world's first antiretroviral… (56,989)
- Mortuary man narrates how food vendors and… March 12, 2020 A mortuary man has narrated how some food vendors and … (47,226)
- Black couple gave birth to a “miracle… November 2, 2021 When white baby Nmachi Ihegboro with blonde hair and blue… (25,628)
- Aboy who “returned” Jalango’s… November 6, 2021 Mboya shot to fame after he "refunded"the aforementioned amounts that… (20,498)
- From a banker to a prisoner~Story of George Juma October 23, 2021 Every person is afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity… (17,747)