The Kenya Bureau of Standards has suspended 10 brands of edible fats and cooking oil which they said are unfit for consumption.
In a statement, Kebs said the suspension was to bring to attention to the public and stop them from purchasing substandard products.
“The brands of none compliant edible fats and oils that failed to meet the requirements of the standard, and to request your good office to request your members to recall this brands and remove them from the supply chain from your members outlets across the country,” read part of the statement.
“Note this is not a ban on the brands but a temporary suspension to facilitate protection of consumers from potentially unsafe products.”
Kebs director for market surveillance Peter Kaigwara said they recently sampled and analysed brands of edible fats and oils manufactured by various oil refineries in Kenya.
He said it was in the interest of and to fulfil its mandate of protecting the health and economic welfare of consumers and ensure a level play ground field.
“The samples were drawn from the retail outlets and were assessed against the requirements of the standard acts and the respective product standard KS EAS 769:KS 2019 fortified edible and fats- specification,” he said.
The Authority said it is also to safeguard economic interests of manufactures of the non compliant brands to initiate and put in place effective and corrective actions under Kebs supervision.
“The suspension was also to ensure that the non compliant brands comply with the requirements of the respective Kenya standards and Standards act cap 496, Laws of Kenya before being allowed back to the market,” Kaigwara said.
He added the withdrawn products should undergo verification by KEBS before being placed back to the shelves.
The brands are:
1. Bahari Fry The product is manufactured by Bidco Africa.
2. Fresh Fri is a product of Pwani Oil Ltd.
3. Fresh Fri with Garlic Oil The edible oil is manufactured by Pwani Oil Ltd.
4. Fry Mate Fry Mate is another product of Pwani Oil Ltd.
5. Gold and Pure Olive Gold Gold and Pure Olive Gold are produced by Bidco Africa Ltd.
6. Postman Postman is manufactured by Kapa Oil Refineries along Mombasa Road.
7. Rina Rina is an edible oil produced by Kapa Oil.
8. Salit Salit is manufactured by Pwani Oil Ltd.
9. Tilly The edible fat is produced by Kapa Oil Refineries Ltd.
10. Top Fry Top Fry is a product of Menengai Oil Refineries Ltd in Nakuru county.